8 Tips For Injury Prevention
More children are participating in organized sports than ever before. While being active is healthy for any growing child, it’s important that they learn the correct techniques when playing a sport to prevent any sports injuries from occurring.
All sports have risks in some form or another. Typically, the more contact in a sport, the greater the chance of injury. Unfortunately, it’s overuse that causes young athletes to incur sports injuries more often than not. These injuries can include sprains, strains, stress fractures, and more.
To prevent these sports injuries from occurring, make these tips a priority to reduce risk of injury:
- Take at least one day off per week to allow the body to recover.
- Wear the correct gear.
- Strengthen muscles with strength conditioning exercises during practices.
- Increase flexibility by stretching properly before and after each sport practice and game.
- Learn the proper techniques for each sport.
- Take breaks and rest during practices and games to reduce the risk of sports injuries.
- Stop playing if there is any pain that begins during the sport.
- Drink plenty of liquids before, during and after each sport to avoid any heat injuries.
There are many injuries common to specific sports. Review the links below on preventing and treating sports injuries. As an athlete, parent, coach, or healthcare provider it’s your top priority to keep safety first!